Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chickpea of the Sea, B

Both my grandmothers were stellar Southern cooks and entertainers. They are the reason I cannot have a guest in the house for more than a minute without offering them something to eat. Actually, my canon of recipes comes largely from those two fantastic women. You'll be learning more about them as time goes on, I'm sure.

Each had her own take on tuna salad, and since I've been experimenting with vegan seafood (faux crab cakes were my first attempt - YUMMMM), I figured I'd give that a shot, too.



The roomies said it tasted just like the real thang! Feel free to substitute the salad mixture for your own grandmother's. Here is what I like to call...

The Chickpea of the Sea Melt
makes 5 melts

1 25-oz. can chickpeas, drained
half sheet nori (sushi paper)
2 cups water
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 a red onion, chopped
a handful of grapes, halved (optional)
1/2 cup Veganaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
s&p to taste
Earth Balance
vegan cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
5 slices of bread

Combine the drained chickpeas and water in a pot and crumble the half sheet of nori into it. Simmer this mixture until the water is absorbed, then set aside to cool.

Pour the cooled chickpea mixture into a bowl and mash with a fork so that no whole chickpeas remain in tact. Add the celery, red onion, and grapes (if using), then fold 'em in. Dump in the Veganaise, mustard, s&p and mix well.

Heat a daub of Earth Balance in a skillet until melted. Grill the bread with a scoop of salad and cheese (enough to cover) on top until cheese melts.

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmm. that sounds reeeeeal good, girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh girl, seriously salivatin' ova here.

    ReplyDelete