Monday, February 8, 2010

Everything is better roasted.

This is the conclusion I have reached regarding vegetables of all kinds; the test subjects tonight were beets and brussel sprouts. I have the house to myself this evening and it is mighty cold in here, so I opted for a quick prep and a roasty toasty finish that I could relish before crawling under my electric blanket for some hardcore reading and sleeping. (I would hibernate wrapped up in this thing if I could.)

Anyway, this dish hit the spot! I'm off to immerse myself in Assata, which I highly recommend, by the way.



Roasted Beets and Brussel Sprouts with a Mustard Glaze
serves 3 (unless eaten as a side - then 5!)

16-18 brussel sprouts, halved
3 beets, peeled and roughly chopped
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 orange's juice
2 teaspoons agave nectar
olive oil
s&p
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss sprouts and beets in a large bowl with all ingredients except walnuts. Spread everything on a baking sheet, brussel sprouts cut side down. Place in the oven for 15 minutes. In the last 5, pull out the sheet and sprinkle on the walnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment