Friday, April 2, 2010

I'll just keep it to myself in the sun

What a lovely day! So warm and sunny outside. Got to pull on my straw hat and head out to my garden at school with boyfriend in tow for some more Spring planting. And waiting for me when I returned home was a special Easter surprise:


Tailored precisely to my dietary preferences, hahaha.

That my parents had the foresight to choose vegan, sugar-free Easter "candy" for their weirdo daughter in lieu of the more traditional chocolate bunnies, eggs, etc. is a treat in itself!

Before I nommed out on those dried pears, I ate some leftovers from last night's dinner, an incredibly rich, hearty, misleadingly meaty stroganoff invented out of thin air by my genius roommate, Halie. You're going to have to trust my description as to the deliciousness of this dish because pictures reeeeally do not do it justice.

Carrot-Walnut Stroganoff
serves 6

olive oil
5 carrots
1 1/2 cups walnuts
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups water
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
2 sprigs worth fresh thyme
2 1/2 cups nutritional yeast
plenty of s&p

In a large skillet, saute the carrots and walnuts in oil, being careful not to burn them. Toss in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Pour three cups of water over top and add the onion powder, basil and thyme.

Cook this mixture until the carrots are softened, then transfer to a food processor and blend well. Return to the skillet, mixing in the remaining two cups of water, the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Let it all meld over medium-low heat for a few minutes. Smother pasta with the sauce and serve.

Everything about this day is decidedly Spring-y. I am totally loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment