Friday, July 2, 2010

Paninimania

Since Daiya came into my life, the vegan grilled cheese has been taken to a previously unknown level of wonderful. So wonderful, in fact, that if they were a little bit more nutritious than they actually are, I would eat them three times a day. Once will have to do for the time being.

So last night, I decided to apply some pistachio pesto to those beloved pressed sandwiches and practically died and went to heaven. Uhhhh, such a GREAT combo!!! You should make this as soon as is humanly possible.

Pesto Grilled Cheese
Delicious sandwich approaching my mouth...

Pesto Grilled Cheese
makes 2 sandwiches

[Pistachio Pesto]
1/3 cup pistachios, shelled
1/2 cup packed fresh basil
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon capers
a pinch of salt
1/3 cup walnut oil

[Grilled Cheese]
4 pieces of sandwich bread (I used GF Millet-Flax bread - it mimics white bread like you wouldn't believe!)
ample Veganaise
abundant Pistachio Pesto
Daiya mozzerella cheeze to your liking
2 tablespoons Earth Balance

Combine all pesto ingredients in a food processor, adding the oil as it blends. Meanwhile, heat the Earth Balance in a skillet over medium-high. Spread two pieces of bread with Veganaise and two pieces with pesto. Sprinkle with lots of cheese, close, and fry until GB on both sides. (I like to mush mine down with a spatula for maximum cheesy-melty-stretchiness.) TAH DAH!

6 comments:

  1. lindsloo this looks so good!!! Can I sub for the walnut oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Olive oil would work just as well - I was out at the time. Tell me how you like-y! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's the best-looking thing I've seen all week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pistachio pesto sounds awesome! Do you think it would be good without the capers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, for sure. I enjoy their flavor myself, but they're mainly in there for saltiness.

    ReplyDelete