Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My mom's totally rawsome.

So on this lovely Cinco de Mayo, I'm excited to share with you her amazing raw recipe for luscious, decadent chocolate mousse. What makes my mom's version of this fairly common raw dessert so spectacular for me is its strikingly similar flavor to a Christmastime classic in my family: the chocolate orange. You know, those balls of chocolate wrapped in orange peel-patterned foil that you smash on the table so that it breaks into little slices. Chocolate tinged with orange zestiness...too good!!

And hey, to add a little Mexican flair to it, you can replace the orange extract with vanilla, then mix in some cinnamon and a pinch ancho chili powder! This mousse is very versatile - change the flavors up and it becomes a whole new sensation.

Who'da thunk I'd be enjoying a glorified avocado for dessert four nights strong?



Raw Orange-Chocolate Mousse
serves 2

2 ripe Haas avocados
1/4 cup cocoa powder (Green & Black is my favorite!)
2 tablespoons raw honey or agave nectar
2 packets of stevia
1 teaspoon orange extract

Peel avocado and blend with all other ingredients in a strong food processor until very smooth. Chill in the fridge for at least one hour. Or the freezer for half an hour, if you're in a hurry. But trust me, it's the chilling that really takes it to the next level.

2 comments: